Carrots are a great vegetable to add in your diet. Its bright orange colour is a great sign that this vegetable is rich in beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant. Serve this bread toasted with a thin layer of almond butter and strawberry jam, or have it plain! This recipe was adapted from Angela Liddon, the creator of Oh She Glows.
Vegan Carrot Bread
1.5 cups finely grated carrot, unpacked
2 tbsp ground chia seed
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup almond milk
1/3 cup organic grapeseed oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1.5 cups light buckwheat flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- Lightly grease a small loaf pan (9X5inch).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the grated carrot, ground chia, maple syrup, almond milk, grapeseed oil, and vanilla. Set aside while you put your dry ingredients together. This will allow the chia seed to thicken the mixture a little bit.
- In a separate bowl, mix all your dry ingredients together: buckwheat flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir. You will see that as you mix this, it will thicken quickly. This is due to the chia seeds.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes at 350F. Once it is done, check that it thoroughly cooked through by sticking a toothpick in the centre.
- Cool for 10 minutes and serve.