This recipe is my favourite recipe to make, especially around the Christmas Holidays. It has three types of ginger: dried, crystallized and fresh. So if you like a nice warming cookie during a fresh Canadian Winter this is the recipe to go with. This recipe was adapted from 101 Cookbooks.
½ + cup turbindo sugar for rolling cookies in
2 cups organic spelt flour (not gluten free) or light buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp star anise finely ground
4 ½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp fine grain sea salt
1 stick unsalted butter
¼ cup unsulphured molasses
1/3 cup organic fine grain natural cane sugar
3 tablespoons fresh ginger peeld and grated
1 large egg, well beaten
1 cup crystallized ginger, then finely minced
Zest of one lemon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line your cookie tray with parchment paper.
- Mix your dry ingredients together: flour, spices, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
- In another bowl cream together your butter and sugar together.
- Add your molasses and whip the mixture.
- Add your beaten egg, fresh ginger, crystallized ginger, and lemon zest.
- Pour your dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Spoon out some of your completed mixture and roll into a 1 inch ball. Roll this into your turbindo sugar and set onto your prepared cookie tray.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool on tray and serve with a cup of organic coffee or tea.