Coconut has become increasingly popular in the food industry and spread to our kitchens. Coconut is also a great food to add to the diet as it is high in fibre, and good saturated fat (yes there is such thing as a good saturated fat: its in the form of a Medium Chain Triglyceride). In this recipe use shredded coconut (and not desiccated coconut), this will ensure you get a fluffy macaroon. You will need an egg beater or mixer for this recipe.
2 and 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 egg whites (must be room temperature)
1/2 cup of organic cane sugar
2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix your coconut, flour and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Beat your egg whites until soft- stiff peaks form (3-4 minutes). Then slowly add your sugar while blending it into the egg whites.
- Add your vanilla.
- Fold in your coconut mixture into the egg whites slowly.
- Spoon and drop onto a lined cookie sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Makes 12-15 macaroons