This recipe is simple and healthy. With the combination of warming spices and natural sugars of the fruit, this recipe is a great fall recipe, especially around the holidays: Thanksgiving or Christmas.
4 ripe pears peeled and cored
1 cup of water
4 oz of apple cider (100%)
Lemon peel from 1/2 lemon
1 tsp vanilla
2 sticks of cinnamon
1 one inch chunk of ginger or 1 tsp ginger powder
3 cloves (or 1/4 tsp ground cloves)
Mint leaves (garnish)
Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, mix apple cidar, water, lemon peel, vanilla and spices. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. This way, the flavors of the spices infuse into the water.
- Add pears and partially cover and simmer over low heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the pears to cool in the pot.
- When cool, cut the pears half lengthwise.
- Serve half the pear with a cinnamon stick and fresh mint leaves on top.
- Optional- you can drizzle some balsamic vinegar on the top for flavor and presentation.