Quinoa although little, is a great source of protein and fibre. You may think there might be not enough on your plate, but a quinoa salad is light, refreshing and filling!
Quinoa Salad Recipe
1 cup of quinoa
3 stalks of diced celery
1/2 diced cucumber
1 red pepper diced
5 red radishes diced
3 green onion stalks chopped
1/2 can of chickpeas (washed and soaked for at least 1 hour to start to sprout them)
3 overloading tablespoons of tahini
1/4 cup of lemon juice (freshly squeezed, or Real Lemon)
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
- If you can, the night before soak your chickpeas. This will sprout your peas a little bit which activates the dormant enzymes (What this really does is make you less bloated).
- Rinse the quinoa with water and clean off the bitter saponins so the full flavour of the quinoa comes through.
- For 1 cup of quinoa place 1.5 cups of water and cook on the stove. Bring it to a light boil, and then simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Dice all your veggies into small cubes (1/2 cm X 1/2 cm if you can, but try to make them all the same shape), while your quinoa is cooking.
- Once your quinoa has cooked, take it off the stove and allow it to cool.
- Once your veggies are all diced place them into a large bowl. Add your chick peas
Now assemble your dressing:
- Mix the tahini and lemon juice together. You will notice that this starts to thicken significantly. Thin out the dressing with water and stir until the texture evens out. The amount of water you will vary, but the consistency you are going for is like a ceasar dressing.
- Add your crushed garlic
- Add your Salt and Pepper
- Mix and voila a delicious tahini dressing.
Assembly of the salad
- Mix all your ingredients in a large bowl: veggies, quinoa, chickpeas and dressing.