As you start to think about expanding your family and having your first, second, third or fourth child it is important to think about how to maximize your health. The most powerful thing you can do to ensure your baby’s health is to make sure your health is optimal. Dr. Melissa Lee, ND will assist you through three phases of preconception care, pregnancy care and post partum care.
Physiologically, eggs take about 100 days to mature and sperm take up to 116 days to generate. During this growth and development phase eggs and sperm are susceptible to nutrient deficiencies and toxicities (ex. Environmental toxins). Therefore, the health of both parents at least four months (or longer) prior to conception is important and ideal. There are many things you can do regularly to improve your health during this period: the preconception stage.
Melissa provides health promotion, screening and Naturopathic Treatments for women and men to reduce risk factors that may affect future pregnancies. We implement certain care and support systems which allow women and their families to become healthier. All these are implemented to increase the chances of healthy conception, pregnancy, birth and baby; work with ART procedures (IUI, IVF, ICSI, FET, cycle monitoring, oocyte retrieval), improve general health and energy, help older parents or those with diagnosed fertility problems and help you gain insight into fertility and your body.
- First Trimester: In this trimester, it is important to support both parents, implantation, embryo development, stress levels and any physical symptoms of a new pregnancy (ex. nausea, vomiting, digestive issues).
- Second Trimester: In this trimester, it is important to support both parents, fetal growth/development, and starting to think about postnatal planning
- Third Trimester: In this trimester, it is important to prepare the body for labour and delivery, breastfeeding, and parenthood.
With regular check in visits, which both of you determine what schedule would be best, Melissa ensures that you and your baby are healthy and in good spirits.
Post Partum Care:
In this stage, Melissa will assist you post delivery. These areas include hormonal balancing, breast feeding, stress, sleep, well child checks, and much more!
During these three phases, Naturopathic prescriptions may/can include:
Acupuncture/Traditional Chinese Medicine
For more information about Fertility & Preconception care, contact Dr. Melissa Lee ND at Conceive Health or Don Valley Health and Wellness.
Other topics on Fertility Treatments:
- About Ovulation & Cycle Monitoring
- Preconception Health Tips
- Acupuncture Treatments for Reproductive Health
- Fertility Acupuncture & ART
- Acupuncture During Cycle Monitoring
- OHIP Funded IVF Cycle Eligibility Requirements
- Fertility Acupuncture Research